Saturday, February 5, 2011

9 years

It has been 9 years. And I remember almost everything. When Febuaury rolls around each year it is hard to turn off the memories. I won't go into details, because a lot of you already know the main story. My one and only sister went blind because of one month on acne medication. One month and the rest of her life was changed forever. At the time it is hard to look forward to the future and think that everything is going to be OK. Amanda has to deal with this everyday, every minute, every second of her life. At least once this time of year, I think "if only". If only we would have realized. If only she didn't take the medication at all. If only......... But she did, and this is what she lives with. I look up to my sister more then she may know. She has made something of her life despite the blindness. She has lived her life to the fullest, despite her blindness. I don't know if I would have been that brave to wake up every morning knowing that when I opened my eyes it was still going to be dark. I don't know that I would have been able to never see the faces of my family again. I don't know that I could never know what my husband looked like or nieces or nephew looks like. These are the things that Amanda will never have but she has moved forward with an awesome attitude. She has her moments. Of course she would have her moments. And every day she has challenges that most of us will never have in our lifetime. Thank you for being and example to me. Thank you, Amanda for never giving up. By the way Happy Anniversary!!!!

3 comments:

Carly said...

this made me cry. what a sweet, heartfelt post. i agree; your sister is amazing, and i don't think i would be as brave as she is!

Jacki said...

i remember that day so so well. after 9 years it is still vivid in my mind. seeing her for the first time in the hospital when she first started losing her sight and her not being able to focus on me just broke my heart.
she is truly an amazing person and has to deal with alot in her young life. pretty sure she is a strong women because i know that i couldn't be that brave and strong and do the things she does everyday of her life.
your so sweet in your words and i'm pretty sure amanda loves you for EVERYTHING that you do for her.
love you manda!

ChelleStamps said...

Very heartfelt and heart-wrenching post. I remember seeing you go through the pain of this event even though I didn't know Manda. I also admire her more than she will ever know. She must be one strong person.
Seems that runs in the family :)

Hey, I didn't know you had a blog!! Glad to have found it.
Love-ya!